Thursday 28 January 2016

Lego Star Wars Resistance X-Wing Microfighter - Review

A slight change of pace today. As anyone who knows the real Darth Crux will know I'm an inner Lego geek and my addiction primarily focuses on the Star Wars themed sets.

Around the turn of the year Lego released some new The Force Awakens sets including both Resistance and First Order battle packs and two of the Microfighter range, an Resistance X-Wing and a snowspeeder. I noticed these kits while I was out shopping and decided to snap up the X-Wing.


The first question has to be are these sets worth the money. In the UK they retail at £8.99 which to me feels a few credits too much. After all these are only very small kits with one figure and 87 pieces. However I'm a sucker for a cool minifigure and the pilot you get with this set won me over. So I threw it in the basket with the weekly shop.

On opening the box you have two bags of pieces and the instructions.



As with all sets I first turned my attention to the minifigure. As I previously mentioned I have a large collection of Star Wars minifigures and this is one of the coolest.

The helmet is beautifully detailed and has a transparent yellow visor built in rather than being painted on to the face of the pilot, as with the Dak minifigure from the 2014 Snowspeeder (75049.)

I've done a couple of comparison shots here of the Resistance X-Wing pilot and Dak Ralter (essentially an Rebel style pilot) so you can see the further developments in just 18 months.




As you can see the older figure does look a bit old fashioned next to the more toned down colours of the Resistance pilot. The detail is certainly far better on the newer figure but the helmet is the real winner here. The detailing is fantastic and is one of the best lego helmets I've seen yet.

As you'd expect from such a small kit, the build is very basic and quite straight forward. The average adult shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes to complete the X-Wing.


Once built the X-Wing is a really nice little kit which I can see really appealing to younger children. For us older children though, these microfighters miss the mark. I really enjoy building the bigger kits, not just for the actual enjoyment of construction but also for the finished model of a favourite Star Wars vehicle. However we do need to remember these are toys and as I said, young relatives of mine will love this as a collection to their Lego box.

Summary - A cool little set with an awesome minifigure creates an awesome toy but will leave the bigger kids wanting.

No comments:

Post a Comment